[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Jul 8 22:20:01 PDT 2022

On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 10:17:40AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> > If we accept to tell users they need to use this to upgrade:
> >
> >   SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
> >
> > We can then avoid ALL damn extra files except a single file installed by
> > PostGIS-X.Y.Z:
> >
> >   postgis--ANY--X.Y.Z.sql
> >
> > This is already possible for upgrades from PostGIS-3.3.0 onward (3.3.0
> > introduced this support in `postgis_extensions_upgrade`)
>
> We already voted against that idea.  One reason is it doesn't work across
> all systems. E.g. on cloud platforms where you are not allowed to update
> system catalogs.

I don't remember a vote but 3.3.0beta1 has it and master branch still has it.
Was a ticket ever filed for this problem with cloud platforms ?
Did anyone really confirm that issue ?

> Why is there no Changed notice in the postgis_extensions_upgrade function
> for 3.3.0 (missing in both the .sql script and the docs) ?

There is, in NEWS, section Enhancements of 3.3.0dev block:

  - postgis_extensions_upgrade() support for upgrades from any PostGIS
    version, including yet to be released ones (Sandro Santilli)

--strk;