[postgis-devel] Separate make target to install extension upgrade scripts ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 26 04:55:28 PST 2023

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> Now that "make install" also installs the "postgis" script,
> and given the "postgis" script lets you install extension
> upgrade scripts as needed, should we stop installing extension
> upgrade scripts for "known old versions" by default and delegate
> that to a separate `make install-extension-upgrades` target ?
>
> I'd be in favour of this, so IF packagers can't find a better
> solution they can still run that rule, but those who build from
> sources aren't forced to have a zillion files on their disk.

>From a packaging viewpoint, having separate targets is great.   I am
agnostic about naming in terms of whether install is all and implies
install-foo and install-bar, where foo and bar install files that are
mutually exclusive.

The big thing I'd ask is that subtargets not install overlapping sets of
files.

I don't follow

> given the "postgis" script lets you install extension upgrade scripts
> as needed

Do you mean that after the reduced install, with the sources gone, you
can as root run "postgis mumble" and have upgrade scripts generated
(from files that were installed) and placed into the system?   Or did
you mean something else?

(As an aside, if so, from  there it seems a small step to an upgrade
command that stages the script in /tmp, runs it, and discards the script.)