[postgis-devel] Separate make target to install extension upgrade scripts ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Jan 26 10:27:50 PST 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 11:56:21AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:
> >
> > As a package, if you can tell WHICH older version is going to be
> > removed, you could just run:
> >
> >   postgis install-extension-upgrades $OLDVERSION
> >
> > after having installed the new version.
>
> Interesting, but for pkgsrc we really can't tell what the old version
> was.

And we can't tell from PostGIS build scripts either,
we just maintain this ever-growing list of old releases
but it's always partial, as we know.

The only time you need those scripts is when upgrading
PostGIS from a version to another, is it really the case
that package management tools have no idea about the old
version of packages that get upgraded ? Could there at least
be a script run AFTER-REMOVAL ? Such script could update a
log of postgis versions ever installed on the system, then
upon installing a new postgis, upgrade paths for ALL those
ever-installed versions could be isntalled.

--strk;

  Libre GIS consultant/developer
  https://strk.kbt.io/services.html