[postgis-devel] Proj GUCs

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jun 21 05:09:39 PDT 2023

Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> writes:

> Just stuffing the extra info into the proj version string looks like this:
>
> postgis_reg=# select postgis_proj_version();
>                                                        postgis_proj_version
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  9.2.1 PROJ_NETWORK=OFF PROJ_URL_ENDPOINT=https://cdn.proj.org PROJ_GRID_DIRECTORY=/Users/pramsey/Library/Application Support/proj
> (1 row)

That seems like a reasonable compromise; it's not really version but
config, and I could see someone wanting

  postgis_proj_config()

with the extra stuff instead, and then postgis_full_config() and
postgis_full_version_config().

However I suspect postgis_full_version() is mostly for bug reports etc.,
and it's really "tell me about how postgis was built (and is being
used)" so that's fine.

I am negative on configuring proj from postgis.   Proj has chosen an
approach as a tradeoff among a bunch of options, all of which have
issues, and if people want to reconfigure proj from how their packaging
system delivers it, that's fine -- but it's not really a postgis issue.

I would say that postgis tests should expect full-precision/best-choice
transforms and that the tests should say that someplace.  I am unclear
on this for many reasons, but the top one is that I have not yet updated
proj in pkgsrc to current, partly because of not getting to it, but
mostly because proj updates the last few years have been leaving
unmaintained and undermaintained packages behind.