[postgis-devel] Code of conduct page

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat May 13 23:45:40 PDT 2023

I’ve revised that line: https://postgis.net/community/conduct/

Does that look okay?

Thanks,

Regina

From: Paul Norman [mailto:penorman at mac.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2023 1:44 AM
To: PostGIS Development Discussion <postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org>; Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us>
Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] Code of conduct page

On 2023-05-12 4:52 p.m., Regina Obe wrote:

Paul has put up the new website.

https://postgis.net

I was thinking we need a code of conduct page as required by OSGeo.  I plan
to pattern it after the GEOS one https://libgeos.org/project/coc/

Except
1) Of course not talking about GEOS
2) Spelling out the name in the link instead of that annoying acronym
3) Have reporting go to psc at postgis.net <mailto:psc at postgis.net>   (similar to what QGIS does on
theirs -
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/codeofconduct/codeofcond
uct.html

Does anyone have issue with the above plan?

The GEOS COC defines doxing as "Posting (or threatening to post) other people’s personally identifying information". This has a serious issue we ran into with an OpenStreetMap Carto pull request <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/4554/files/dde058f367721878e66cf5b7ee3cd72ed837b2d7#r889629148>  - it does not differentiate between private information and public information, and disagrees with the dictionary definitions of doxing, which is about publishing private information. The below quote applies here

As defined here, someone posting my name and location with my explicit permission would be doxxing me, and thus prohibited. Additionally, some users are publicly disclose their location in their profile. These users are publicising certain information about themselves, and, when relevant to an issue, I see no reason not to mention the information they publish.

When defining dox, Oxford and Wikipedia both include some notion of the information being private and there normally being some malice. The definition here has neither.