Users mailing list configuration change

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 4 09:01:10 PST 2024

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> It's been almost two months that postgis-devel runs with the new
> configuration and I didn't read any complaint. Are you ok with
> me doing the same on postgis-users ? Do you think we should ask
> before change ?

To me, the biggest point is that mailinglists that break DKIM are
misconfigured, and this misconfiguration itself and especially modifying
messages to have incorrect From: fields are are harmful.  So I don't see
any question that all mailinglists should be fixed.

I think it's nice to let people know it's coming, and I think the sole
aspect where people might need to adapt is if they are filtering on the
subject tag and need to update to filter on the List-Id: header instead.
It might make sense to have a wiki page that explains how to do this for
various MUAs, links to the public tracker bug report for MUAs that
can't, and an explanation for those without trackers that they lack one.
I don't have anything useful to add as I use filter server-side using
software that I wouldn't recommend to others, and I read mail with
emacs/gnus, and people like that aren't having trouble :-) But all
software that I know for server-side sorting can trivially filter on any
header with any regexp.