[postgis-users] How are you editing data in PostGIS?

Erik Brenn erik at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 4 08:16:13 PDT 2003

Hi Mark,

I earlier developed an AutoCAD Map VBA application that can import data from AcadMap into PostGIS using ODBC/ADO
The application reads a configuration file, which can be customized via GUI. This lets you set up the mapping between AutoCAD layers and most AutoCAD specific graphical attributes to PostgreSQL/PostGIS tables/columns. You can also configure mapping of object data.

As an FME user I figured I soon wont need this anymore since FME now supports PostGIS, but FME doesn't yet support AutoCAD Map Object Data, ufortunately.

If you're interested I can send you a snapshot of the GUI and also the .bas files for you to try out. It was developed for PostgreSQL 7.2.x, but shouldn't require much work, if any, to work with 7.3

I have also developed a check-in / check-out VBA application in AutoCAD Map. I was planning to do this as a true/live editing client to PostGIS, but the event handlers in AutoCAD Map were just too unstable so I gave up. Instead my application can check out an user specified area (either by box, or other means) and then store all identifiers of checked out objects in a separate table. During check-in the data is compared to that table, and any new objects, deleted objects, updated objects, are detected. New and deleted objects were easy, but we had to compromise for the updated objects, telling the operators to insert a code to indicate update in an AutoCAD object data field.
This application is not that generic, and it's based on the now obsolete RDO. But if people are interested I might spend a day or two to shine it up and try to make it more reusable.

regards,
  erik brenn