[postgis-users] Error while importing data

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Mar 14 04:29:28 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:01:14PM +0000, Nigel Kukard wrote:
> commands i used are..  (cvs snapshot of postgis-1.0.0, RCSID: $Id:
> shp2pgsql.c,v 1.81 2005/03/08 11:06:33 strk Exp $)
>
> shp2pgsql -a -D 2327BD_AIR_TRANSPORT_AREA_ALLFEATTYPES.shp all >
> /tmp/air_transport.sql
> psql -U postgres all < /tmp/air_transport.sql

Nigel, you are "appending" to an existing table (all).

How did you create that table ?
You probably run AddGeometryColumn() once, specifying a different
dimension then '2', which is required by your shapefile.
I tried both creating and appending the shapefile and it works.

The "dimensions" constraint was not enforced in postgis 0.x, and
this seems to give problem to more then a user...

Do people think the check is better avoid ?

--strk;