[postgis-users] extent changed a little in rc3

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 02:20:59 PST 2005

Hi strk/Bernhard,

(cut)

> > So, the upshot this is: I think it's better to report reasonably
> > accurate values in the textual representations of postgis
> types than
> > trying to hide the effects of binary floating point.
>
> You're probably right, it was a bad idea changing it...
> Anyone else's opinion on this ?

I think that reporting the accurate value is the way to go, as suggested by
the poster. My suspicion is that most people using PostGIS would already be
aware of the effect of floating point rounding errors, but I think I would
be surprised if my highly accurate data was displayed differently from its
actual value in the DB.... I would consider rounding to be something done at
the application layer if required.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd